Comment on page
New Projects & Tasks Tab Overview
The Projects and Tasks tab in Motion is designed to help you manage and track ongoing projects and tasks with ease. It promotes collaboration and organization, making it an essential tool for boosting productivity in your work environment.
- The Projects and Tasks Tab has a real hierarchy.
- 🏢 Workspaces are large organizational buckets on the team level. You can permission which team members belong in workspaces. On the individual level, they serve as organizational tools.
- Within the workspace exist and live 📂 projects (think of these as overarching goals composed of multiple action items).
- And then obviously the bread and butter of Motion is the task! 📌
- 📝 Tasks are primarily auto-scheduled (powered by our AI) action items that move around on your calendar, and they sit within the project. Remember, tasks can be free, busy, and fixed on your calendar. Note that, users who consistently make 20 new auto-scheduled tasks a week see significant, productive gains. 💪
Workspaces provide dedicated environments for organizing and managing tasks and projects. Whether you're working individually or as part of a team, workspaces ensure a structured and efficient approach to your work.
'My Tasks' is your personalized workspace where you can manage and organize tasks from various workspaces. It offers a personalized view of your assigned work and deadlines.
Shared Workspaces facilitate collaboration among team members. You can work together on projects within these shared spaces, fostering efficient communication and coordination.
Projects are containers for related tasks, allowing you to organize work around specific goals. For example:
- 📢 Marketing Agency Example: Suppose you run a bustling marketing agency, "Marketing Marvels." You're handling a major project for a client with various teams assigned to different tasks. You can create a project named 'Client X Campaign' to centralize tasks related to that specific campaign. This way, you can ensure that all tasks related to the campaign are organized and easily accessible.
Tasks are the fundamental units of work in Motion, categorized as free, busy, or fixed, each with its own purpose and characteristics.
Adding Details to Projects and Tasks
Within the task and project modals, you can add:
- 📊 Task Fields: Add specific information like due dates, priority levels, tags, and assignees.
- 📝 Descriptions: Notes, agenda, progress, etc.
- 🏞️ Image Attachments: Add photos or screenshots to provide visual context or reference materials.
- 🧑💻 Commenting: Adding, Editing, and Deleting: Collaborate with teammates by leaving comments to discuss progress or provide updates.
The List View presents tasks and projects in a clear, organized list format, making it easy to prioritize, set deadlines, and assign tasks. Here's how you can customize and make the most of it:
You have the flexibility to manually reorder tasks, projects, and workspaces with the drag-and-drop feature. For example:
- 📢 Marketing Agency Example: If you're managing a marketing project, you can drag and drop tasks between columns representing different stages of the project, such as 'Planning,' 'Execution,' and 'Review.' This allows you to adjust task priorities and stay organized as the project progresses.
Columns provide essential details about tasks and projects, helping you stay organized. For instance:
- 🎯 Priority: Indicates the importance of tasks.
- 📈 Status: Shows the current state of each task.
- ⏰ Deadline: Shows when tasks are due and need to be completed.
- 🗓️ Scheduled On: Shows when tasks are scheduled to be done.
- 👤 Assignee: Specifies the owner of a task.
- 🏷️ Labels: Indicates the tags used for tasks.
- 💜 Purple date: The task will meet the deadline or is scheduled ahead of the deadline.
- You’re all set!
- 🔴 Red date: The task will not meet the deadline or is scheduled past the deadline.
- Use the "Resolve Issues" option if this task will miss its deadline (either by changing a task parameter like priority or moving the deadline date).
- 🚀 Future: The task is scheduled for a future date.
- This task is not within Motion's rolling 2-week auto-scheduling window.
- ❌ None: The task isn't auto-scheduled or couldn't fit into your schedule between now and the deadline (within the 2-week window).
- Time to reprioritize this task!
📢 Marketing Agency Example for Columns: You can use columns like 'Priority' and 'Status' to track the importance and progress of tasks within your marketing project. For high-priority tasks that need immediate attention, set the 'Priority' column to 'High' to ensure they are addressed promptly!
You have two main views at your disposal:
- 🌐 Public View: Displays all uncompleted tasks and projects without filters, and this view is visible to all members of the workspace.
- 🔒 Private View: Create custom views that are visible only to you, providing a personalized experience. For instance:
- 📢 Marketing Agency Example (Public View): You can create a public view called 'Client X Campaign Progress' that displays all tasks related to the campaign. This view can be shared with your team members so everyone stays on the same page regarding campaign progress.
- 📢 Marketing Agency Example (Private View): In your private view, you can set up a custom filter that shows only high-priority tasks across all your projects. This way, you have a personalized view of tasks that require your immediate attention.
The Kanban View offers visual task management, helping you organize tasks into columns that represent workflow stages. It's perfect for tracking progress and maintaining clarity.
Suppose you run a busy marketing agency, "Marketing Marvels." You're handling a major project for a client with various teams assigned to different tasks. You can use the Kanban View like this:
🚀 Project Briefing and Task Allocation:
- Create task columns like 'Planning,' 'Execution,' and 'Review' to represent the project's stages.
- Move tasks through these columns to track their progress and reflect their status.
🎯 Priority-based Kanban Board:
- Group tasks by priority in Kanban columns (e.g., ASAP, High, Medium, Low).
- When moving task cards between columns, updates in task parameters dynamically adjust the calendar schedule, enhancing scheduling efficiency.
- Our AI auto-scheduling is live and responsive! 🏎️
The "Schedule" view in Motion provides you with an organized and visual representation of your tasks based on your schedule.
You can reschedule tasks in this view in 2 ways:
- Single task: Drag and drop a task to a different column.
- ➡️ Rest of the week
- 📅 Next week
- Multiple tasks: Click "Change deadline to scheduled date." This will mass reschedule tasks scheduled after their due dates.